Texas Immigration Attorney Discusses Fiancé and Spousal Visas: K-1, K-2, IR-1, and CR-1 Visas

As the saying goes, “Love knows no boundaries.” However, immigration laws in the United States certainly complicate international marriages and establishing a home with a foreign national. Fortunately, most United States citizens who are married to citizens of different countries or who are engaged to marry a foreign national may apply for either a spousal or fiancée visa. These visas permit the U.S. citizens to bring their foreign home to the United States to live with them. Then the process of obtaining permanent status may be initiated.

Types of Fiancé and Spousal Visas

A couple of different types of visas enable fiancées and spouses to enter the United States. The K-1 fiancée visa allows the foreign fiancée of a United States citizen to enter the country to be married. There are criteria which must be met, such as legal eligibility for marriage, absence of a criminal record, lack of infectious diseases, an intent to marry within 90 days of arrival, and, in most cases, proof that the applicant and their fiancée spent time together within the two years before application. United States citizens who would like to obtain a K-1 visa for their fiancée may do so whether they are inside or outside of the United States at the time of the application. Permanent non-citizen residents of the U.S. are not eligible to apply for a K-1 visa.

If your fiancée has children who are unmarried and under the age of twenty-one, they can enter the United States with your fiancée on K-2 visas. K-2 visas work in the same way as K-1 visas; that is, if the marriage does not occur within ninety days, the children must leave the United States, along with their parents. Children who enter the United States on K-2 visas may attend school, and, if they are of legal employment age, may obtain work authorization.

IR-1 and CR-1 spousal visas allow foreign spouses of United States citizens to enter the United States. They may begin the naturalization process for citizenship after three years of marriage and residence within the United States.

A Safe Option for Victims of Domestic Violence

In recognition of the vulnerability of those who enter the United States with hopes of becoming citizens, the United States provides an alternative path to citizenship for victims of domestic violence. This is specifically for protecting a woman from having to choose between enduring abuse to become a citizen or walking away from abuse and into a precarious immigration situation. This protection is outlined in The Violence Against Women Act.

Experienced Immigration Law Attorneys Serving Clients Throughout Texas

When citizens of different nations decide to marry, things can certainly get complicated. Fortunately, some programs enable fiancées and spouses to legally enter the United States, providing them with legal citizenship paths. As with any other legal matter, issues with fiancée and spousal visas may occur at any time. Our Texas law firm is to easy by telephone at (866) 253-9689. When you call the Texas Immigration Law Attorneys at Alex Martinez Law Office, you will receive the knowledge, dedication, and experience you deserve.